Even though here at Mud Mates HQ we relish and recognise the importance of outdoor play (even in Winter), sometimes you just want to hunker down inside, and this pom pom shooter activity will definitely keep the kids busy for ages!
These pom pom shooters are super quick and easy to make but will provide hours of fun and entertainment (and competition if you’re that way inclined)!
What you’ll need:
- Paper cup (or plastic)
- Pom poms
- Markers, stickers, glitter, glue to decorate your cup (optional)
How to Make a Pom Pom Shooter
- Cut the base/bottom out of the cup. I found nail scissors worked best as you can poke the sharp point easily through the base to get started.
- Tie a knot in the balloon (don’t blow it up).
- Cut the tip off the other end of the balloon, cutting across the fold i.e. so the folds are NOT down the sides of the balloon. The folds are weak points and the balloon may tear when you stretch it. (I did have this happen a couple of times anyway, so I think it may just depend on the quality of the balloon).
- Take your balloon and stretch the cut end out over the base of the cup. You may need to seal it with duct tape to keep it secure.
- That’s it! Easy-peasy.
- Your child may wish to decorate their pom pom shooter.
To use, simply put a pom pom inside the cup, pull the tied knot of the balloon down and then release. The pom pom will shoot out.
You can play many different games with these…. see who can shoot theirs the highest or the farthest. Or make a goal or target and see who is the most accurate shooter. I’m sure your children will come up with other ideas too! Please share them in the comments below.